People who work have more purchasing power. What’s more, income tax creates additional opportunities for the government. To assure the continuous, sustainable growth of employment in the port, the port community pays attention to
- safety (fewer occupational accidents);
- engagement of employees (offering a competitive salary and other attractive benefits);
- diversity (cultural background, male vs. female ratio, newcomers…);
- training and competence development;
- solutions for commuter traffic;
- activation of jobseekers for shortage occupations;
- employment security.
Besides this, there are also opportunities for social employment. Social enterprises create opportunities for disadvantaged groups. These enterprises have a social impact as well as making a financial profit.
That is why the Government of Flanders also supports projects of social entrepreneurs, from the non-commercial sector with a (wage) subsidy.